Work Visas

Home Green Cards Work Visas

Work Visas

If your plan is to reside in the U.S. on either a temporary or a permanent basis after graduation, this section will explain how to obtain temporary work visas (H-1Bs).

If your job requires that you possess a college degree, you may be eligible to change your status from F-1 practical training (OPT) to H-1B temporary working status in 30 to 60 days. Again, it is best to begin your H-1B process as soon as possible. If your Employment Authorization Document I-766 expires before your application for a change of status is approved, your permission to be employed terminates immediately.

Cap-gap Extension for F-1 Students with Approved H-1B Petitions

If you are an F-1 student with a timely filed H-1B petition and change of status request, and your F-1 status and employment authorization will expire before the change of status to H-1B occurs (typically October 1), you may be eligible for a cap-gap extension. Go to USCIS Cap-Gap Extension page for more information.

We will be happy to clarify all intricacies of these cases. Please contact us for more information.

Web Resources